Re: ANNOUNCE GSDock-0.0.1

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE GSDock-0.0.1
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:38:40 +0100

On 2003-07-08 01:04:27 +0000 Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com>
wrote:

GNUstep probably ought to support the relevant extended window manager
hints, if it doesn't already.  The best place to do that would be the
libraries rather than single applications.

I agree with this.  I'm wondering if there needs to be some GNUstep specfic
methods on NSWindow or Functions which would call the backend to do this.

well, actually, using NSDesktopWindowLevel set the EWMH hint
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP (l. 534 in XGServerWindow.m)
(see http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/x225.html)

And as this hint is used for example in Nautilus, and it's explicitely stated
that it could
be used as a "desktop" (ie, drop icons on it), the correct behavior for the
windowmanager
should be to have the corresponding window available on every sctreens.
Now, we could argument that NSDesktopWindowLevel shouldn't use that hint, but
anyway
that's what is used now. It doesn't works with the virtuals screens of wmaker,
but with
others EWMH windowmanager it works.

So currently it's more a window manager problem than a gnustep one..

In fact, the EWMH explicitely states that thoses levels aren't simple "windows stack
level",
but they indicate a function.

("Rationale: This hint is intend to replace the MOTIF hints. One of the objections to the
MOTIF hints is that they are a purely visual description of the window decoration. By
describing the function of the window, the window manager can apply consistent decoration and
behaviour to windows of the same type. Possible examples of behaviour include keeping
dock/panels on top or allowing pinnable menus / toolbars to only be hidden when another window
has focus (NextStep style)."")

--
Nicolas Roard