Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:17:19 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:

I very much like using library-combos (such as 'gnu-gnu-gnu') instead of
`gnustep' as header directories because they make clear, at least to an
advanced user, what we are talking about.  They are consistent with the
names/directories we use for object files.  People who don't need
library-combos (most of them) can just --enable-flattened in
gnustep-make's ./configure and forget about them.  People who need
library-combos have a single unified way of organizing headers and
libraries and frameworks and applications.  It will also help future
changes (such as simplification or advancements of library-combo support)
to be made consistently and simply on all areas.
As long as we don't mind the duplication of header files (for every project), we can do this.

==

The existing options (--enable-flattened and --enable-multi-platform) in
gnustep-make's ./configure should be enough to support this.

Maybe we could change the default as Adam seems to suggest, and make the
default --disable-flattened and --disable-multi-platform.

That seems still open to discussion.  Opinions on that ?
Like I said, I have no objections. I didn't have a clear understanding of the semantics of -multi-platform, but now after reading the comments in make/configure.ac, this only seems to effect GNUstep.sh talking into account that users from different plattforms may source it and require a minimum developing environment to allow GNUstep.sh/config.guess to do thier determination of the platform.

Configuring with --enable-multi-platform allows someone to use both gc and non gc versions of gnustep simultaniously. (Actually is that true? Can you install two runtime versions of the ObjC runtime? But that's irrelevant here because the corresponding gnustep libraries could be installed on the same fileserver.)

--enable-multi-platform as it is now has nothing to do with using gc and
non-gc versions of gnustep at the same time; I assume you are talking of a future proposed implementation.

No, it was just a lack of understanding.

I guess if we default to --enabled-flattend then the header duplication shouldn't be much of an issue. I would be fine with it.

Cheers,
David