Re: porting to GNUstep from OSX

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: porting to GNUstep from OSX
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:08:34 +0200

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 11:09 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:

Maybe just some #ifndef's, combined with -D's in the GNUMakefile would
be enough? (I.e., #ifndef GNUSTEP #include <objc/runtime.h> #endif)

gnustep-make automatically adds -DGNUSTEP on the command line when
compiling for GNUstep.

So what I do, and what I guess most people are doing, is

#ifndef GNUSTEP
 /* Apple specific code */
#else
 /* GNUstep specific code */
#endif

You don't need any autoconf or scripting, this should always work: if you compile GNUstep code using GNUstep, GNUstep is going to be defined; if you
compile for Apple (using GNUstep or PBX), GNUstep is not going to be
defined.

And if you use the GNUstep make package on OS X (and you know, Helge insists on that being ported to OS X every once in a while ;-) you're stuck! :-) Because you also need to identify the runtime, because GNUstep doesn't always mean GNU runtime.

I always define the following in every GNUmakefile of our packages:

ifeq "$(OBJC_RUNTIME_LIB)" "gnu"
ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS += -DGNU_RUNTIME
endif

It would be nice and helpful if the GNUstep make package would define this automatically.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com