Re: Objective-C gdb (was: Re: Problem with AppKit/Fonts?)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Objective-C gdb (was: Re: Problem with AppKit/Fonts?)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:48:34 +0100

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 09:23 PM, Adam Fedor wrote:

I've just installed the CVS version of gdb, but the Objective-C
support is pretty useless since the "next" command does not work
properly.

Can someone give me access to a ix86 machine so I can try to fix this? Other people have reported this and I can't replicate it on my ppc. It would be a bummer for 6.0 to come out and have it not work with Objective-C.

I use gdb on ix86 machines ... and I have no problem with the 'next' command. Perhaps what's needed is a short test program to run the debugger on, and
an explanation of how to reproduce the problem with 'next'

The one thing I do find annoying with the current objc support in gdb is that
the 'print' command doesn't handle methods returning char* nicely.
What I mean is, if 'x' is a variable of type 'char*' pointing to the string "hello" then 'print x' will display the numeric value of the pointer followed by the string "hello", but if x is an NNString, 'print [x cString]' or 'print x UTF8String' will just print the numeric value of the resulting pointer, not the content of
the string.
Of course you can work around that using an explicit cast
'print (char*)[x UTF8String]'  but it's still annoying.