Re: autogsdoc questions and suggestions

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: autogsdoc questions and suggestions
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:03:57 +0200

On 2003-07-22 06:54:01 +0200 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 12:25 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

hi,

I have a few questions concerning autogsdoc. First of all, I think it  is a
nice tool. Besides that, I was not able to find some readable and  clean
examples about how to use that tool.

QUESTIONS

1. How can I use CSS with HTML files generated by autogsdoc?
2. I have several frameworks:
      /SourceRoot
          /Documentation
          /Frameworks
              /Framework1
              /Framework2
How can I make top level documentation .html file containing  references to all
frameworks, and how can put it into GNUmakefile?  Somtehing like 'suite
contents'.

Ideally, you should be able to use a .gsdoc file together with the  -Projects
flag for autogsdoc to tell it how to find the projects you  want to link to.
However, the prjref element needed to refer to an  external project as a whole
is not implemented, so you would have to  link to individual classes (or use a
global scope index).

How can i create/usr global scope index?

<snip>

4. How can I tell autogsdoc to move authors and date to the bottom of  the page?
5. Where should I put templates for such directory layout if they are common
for all frameworks, except names?
6. How can I specify a template for class documentation? I do not want
Contents, Authors and 'Software documentation for ...' title. The  title is not
necessary, because I already know that i am looking at  class documentation.
What i want is only a class name, description,  declared in/conforms to, method
index and method descriptions.

Maybe more questions comming soon.

I think there is pretty much a single answer to most of the above  really ...
autogsdoc does not have any customisability built in ... it  was written
primarily to generate gnustep-base documentation, and while  it's still a good
tool for documenting any other ObjC code, you get the  same presentation that
the base library gets.

Would it be possible to change it to some more generic objc documentation tool?
I think it has almost everything that is needed for separate tool. Just some
customisation is missing.

That being said, you have two options ...

a. Change autogsdoc to do what you want ... eg. provide a new version  of the
AGSHtml.m source, rewrittten to use some form of templates.  Any  nicely
designed, generic approach which produces something like the  current output as
default would probably be welcome.

I know, that is the point behind open source, however ... to be able to modify
it i need to learn internals of autogsdoc, learn xml, learn autogsdoc html
output, and more. I have no time.

b. Post-process the outupt ... since the output is currently xhtml, you  can
use an xslt tool to transform it any way you want,
though you could of course use other text manipulation tools.  This  might need a minor
tweak to AGSHtml.m to get it to output the  appropriate <?xml version...> and
<!DOCTYPE ...> header/wrapper info  for stricter xslt tools.

hm, another tool. same as above - no time for that if i want to focus on the
real stuff :o/

SUGGESTIONS

I think that autogsdoc should strictly differentiate between pure  class
documentation and some generic documentation (like text in  chapters).
I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The base library documentation has
generic documentation in
Documentation/Base.gsdoc.  Are you saying there should be generic
documentation and class documentation in the same file?

No, the opposite. I am saying that autogsdoc (or some of its functionality)
should generate ONLY class documentation. Perhaps some autogsdoc clone, that
just takes .[hm] files and creates nothing more and nothing less thatn pure
class/protocol/category/method documentation.

What do you think about using code from DevelopmentKit in Autogsdoc?
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/develkit/ (see examples in Testing
directory)

<snip>

I'm very much against using external software (however good) ... I  don't want
to need to link against
anything that might not be installed.   I wanted it to be possible to  build
gnustep-base completely
in one go.

I understand and agree here with you.

I mean, you download it and run 'make install' and everything is done,  rather
than -
download base, build and install library
download another library, build and install,
build and install autogsdoc and documentation

I know it's only a small thing, but I'd like it to be as easy as  possible for
a new user to get everything
they need installed.

i think that creating a documentation is not task for user, but for developer.
developer should provide documentation within software package or as standalone
package. user should be freed from this task. Therefore having some separate
tool (if autogsdoc were in a standalone package) is not a problem, because
developer is more experienced.

Stefan
--
http://urbanek.host.sk

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi