Re: Problem with newest gui/back 0.8.8

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Problem with newest gui/back 0.8.8
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:03:53 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Damien Genet wrote:
> > GNUstep display is completly broken here using the new back/gui 0.8.8
> > tarball.
> >
> > Here a screenshot using art backend :
> > http://perso.cyriacrea.net/~damien/pub/misc/gnustep-0.8.8_art_broken.png
> >
> > same with xlib backend :
> > http://perso.cyriacrea.net/~damien/pub/misc/gnustep-0.8.8_xlib_broken.png
> >
> > For information i'm runing a debian unstable, and latest gnustep
> > compiled by hand with make debug=yes.
>
> The same problem has been described by Andreas Vögele and Nicolas
> Girard. This seems to be caused by the backend not setting the text
> colour correctly before drawing.

I thought so originally, too. However, the default "background" color
(ie. the color in the windows where nothing has been drawn yet) is black
with back-art and white with back-xlib. Thus, the big black and white
areas are actually places where nothing has been drawn. It looks like a
really big mess in the view drawing code, since it seems that not all
views are being drawn when they should.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it here, so I have no idea what's
causing it. :/

The output of "openapp SomeApp.app --GNU-Debug=NSView" might be helpful,
but we'd need to know the exact versions of the app and of -gui/-back.
Just start the app and then kill it (or quit, but kill is better).

- Alexander Malmberg