Re: reforming gpbs

From: Aredridel
Subject: Re: reforming gpbs
Date: 29 Jul 2003 14:21:40 -0600

> While we are talking about reforming gpbs, I would like to ask something
> that's been bothering me for some time: Does GNUstep handle selection and cut
> buffers in a "proper" way?

I think it does not.  It does appear to get the selection and cut buffer
backwards.

One thing that, I think, would make selections more useful is actually
using SECONDARY:

If the destination of the paste-from-selection (middle-mouse) event is
within the boundary of the PRIMARY selection, then replace the selection
with the contents of SECONDARY if it exists.  If your app loses PRIMARY,
put that into SECONDARY instead.

Nice and simple, and would make mousing cut-and-paste much more useful
-- you could actually "paste over" something without reaching for the
keyboard.  In the URL bar of a browser, this is particularly relevant.

> Anyway, I have noticed very strange behaviors when going back and forth
> between GNUstep and GNOME or KDE apps. It seems that when going from GNUstep
> to a KDE or GNOME app, the selection and cut buffer get switched around.
> Middle mouse pastes whatever was last copied, when it should paste whatever
> was last selected; the "paste" operation pastes whatever was last selected,
> instead of whatever was last copied.

I too see this.

> So, I am hoping that someone knowledgeable about both GNUstep and X
> selection/cut buffer behavior could take a look at the code and see if it is
> in fact broken, as it seems to be, and hopefully fix it :)

Please!  It would make things much more usable.