Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian languag

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian language experts...)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:26:23 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Fred Kiefer
[mailto:fredkiefer@gmx.de]

I was not suggesting to revert back to the old code, but as you
also agreeed to, support different ways at once in our xpbs code. Hopefully code that wont be used in the long run, but would still
be there as a fallback.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. However, just to be clear,
for people using an old X server, the gpbs code is exactly the same
as it was before, only people using new X servers will see a change.

No, I was not refering to an old X server, but to an X application that
would be able to exchange STRING data but not UTF8 data via the pasteboard. What needs to be added to our code for this is the ablility to read and write different data depending on what the other application can process. This is what the specification I was refering to suggest for all applications. To put it into other words, I was suggesting the switch from a compile time setting of the pasteboard type to a run time setting. Does this make my position a bit clearer?