Re: reforming gpbs

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: reforming gpbs
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:09:21 +0200

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Aredridel wrote:
One thing that, I think, would make selections more useful is actually
using SECONDARY:

If the destination of the paste-from-selection (middle-mouse) event is
within the boundary of the PRIMARY selection, then replace the selection
with the contents of SECONDARY if it exists.  If your app loses PRIMARY,
put that into SECONDARY instead.

Note that gpbs, when compiled for a backend that uses -x11 for the
server, tries to map the OPENSTEP pasteboard system to the X system. The
actual OPENSTEP pasteboard system is different, and has no concept of
PRIMARY or SECONDARY.

The "current selection"/middle-click thing in -gui is just a hack, and
it interacts poorly with several other things in -gui. I'm very
sceptical of keeping it at all.

I did not reply to this mail as at that time there were more pressing problems with the X pasteboard interaction, still I am quite curious, why you think that the middle click handling in GNUstep is a hack and should be removed. For me the middle mouse is the most used copy-paste mechnism and I really want to keep it. Not just because I did implement it myself, but because for a lot of old-timers this is the one mechanism they are used to. (When I started to use GUIs on Unix systems this was the only working way to copy stuff)

I do understand that copying the selection to the pasteboard every time may waste precious clock cycles. What I could live with is a user default that would allow to switch off the selection mechanism for those newbies that have learned copy and paste with menu items or short cut keys.

Cheers
Fred