Re: Postal address layouts?

From: Dirk Lattermann
Subject: Re: Postal address layouts?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:48:57 +0200

Hello Björn!

I remember a NEXTSTEP address book application
(but I don't recall its name or author/company, it might
still be available on Peanuts), which too aimed at storing
international addresses.  They said that after some time they
came to the conclusion that a multi-line free form text area
is the only practicable representation for an address.

Maybe that's really better than trying to categorize the
distinct fragments of an address.  Is there any use to be able
to extract only the building number, the street, or only the
town name, that is worth the pain?  (Country maybe.)
I presume the purpose of the application is to ease looking up
the email or postal address, and not to do data mining.

(just two european cents.)

Cheers,
Dirk