Re: GNUstep on Solaris 2.6

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Solaris 2.6
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:53:45 -0600

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 06:00 AM, Martin Brecher wrote:

Hi, -

recently I tried to run GNUstep on Solaris 2.6.

Gladly, most of the required packages (gcc33, etc) can be obtained from
www.sunfreeware.com. Only ffcall, gmp and Window Maker had to be
compiled locally.

The build process of GNUstep ran very smoothly.

However, I'm unable to run any application. Issuing openapp Ink.app at
the console results in a lot of X-Windows error messages followed by a
core dump.

Maybe someone can give me some advice. An excerpt of the error script is posted below. I was using the xlib backend. (Is -art supposed to work on
Solaris?)

It's probably unlikely that it is the graphics backend. More likely is the X server (x11) section of the backend. Someone else was having similar problems on Solaris 2.6. I remember that it was crashing in a place that it shouldn't be possible for it to crash (XGServerWindow.m:setWindowHintsForStyle), unless the XGetWindowProperty call returned a bogus success value when it really didn't succeed.

It would be helpful if you could debug it or just get some backtraces. Compile the libraries with debug=yes, if possible and

debugapp MyApp.debug
run
bakctrace

To get info about the seg fault.

Also debug with

debugapp MyApp.debug --GNU-Debug=XSynchronize

and that will cause the app to crash after the first X-Windows error and you can get a backtrace there also.