Re: MUST GNUstep Makefiles be called GNUmakefile?

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: MUST GNUstep Makefiles be called GNUmakefile?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:33:02 +0200

Björn Giesler wrote:

On 2003-10-07 10:16:15 +0200 David Ayers <d.ayers@inode.at> wrote:
Any non-option parameter passed to make will be interpreted as a target. If you want to supply a file name to the a custom Makefile, you should be able to use the -f option:

make -f MyMakefile  (see: man/info make)

That is exactly what I'm doing, and what causes the error.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

It seems that the GNUstep makefiles specify 'GNUmakefile' as a separate project
dependency, which is very sensible, because when the makefile changes, the
entire project must probably be re-made. It just shouldn't be a specific name
but (if that's possible) the name of the makefile currently used by 'make'. I
haven't found any possibility to do that from the make documentation yet,
however.
OK, I think I got ya. So what you want is a variable that -make would use a dependency instead of GNUmakefile. OK, have you tried playing with MAKEFILE_NAME= ? (see common.make)

I'm not sure how you would retrieve the "current" makefile name though....

Cheers,
David