Re: PATCH: Find more ObjC methods

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: PATCH: Find more ObjC methods
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:52:03 +0200

Ziemowit Laski wrote:
> On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 03:08 US/Pacific, David Ayers wrote:
[snip]
> > There are good reasons to #include/#import several implementation
> > files into a single compilation unit. (e.g. access to static global
> > variable/functions).  We use this in several larger projects, where
> > the files can be maintained by different developers.
>
> I do not work on GNUStep and so do not have a horse in this race,

GNUstep generally has (at most) one class per file. Apps and tools have
more than one in one file more often, though, since they often have many
small delegate/controller classes, or small override-one-method
subclasses or categories.

> but
> IMO the reasons you outlined are nothing short of horrible.  You should
> be using forward declarations ("extern int foo; extern void
> bar(void);"), compiling your implementation files separately, and then
> letting ld(1) do its thing.

However, this is just another convention. (And this isn't meant to start
a flamewar about the relative merits of these conventions. FWIW, I think
both are good and should be followed, except when there's a good reason
not to. :)

- Alexander Malmberg