Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:38:12 -0400

Matthias Klose wrote:

> Adam Fedor wrote:
> > Sounds cool to me. I'd like to see an easy-to-install and/or
> > pre-compiled collection of GNUstep apps and libraries.
>
> Doesn't sound cool at all.
>
> - Debian does have "an easy-to-install and/or pre-compiled collection
>   of GNUstep apps and libraries". Why another set?
>
> - assume he makes his packages for one architecture, he's missing
>   six other archs.
>
> The thing he doesn't like are the unusual/unfriendly places (called
> the Unix File System Hierarchy (FHS)). Some time before the KDE people
> didn't like, now someone from the GNUstep community doesn't like
> it. If you know of a better schema which fits the FHS, please let us
> know.

The "ideal" GNUstep layout is rampantly, even enthusiastically,
non-compliant with the FHS (and thus Policy) -- and frankly, there is
nothing that can be done about it so there's no use talking about it.
It's merely a layout which is highly preferred over both a FHS-compliant
one AND the default GNUstep layout.

That is to say that what is on Debian /usr/lib/GNUstep/System, is (in
this layout) /System. Same for Network and Local.

In addition, it would place a file in the root directory, .hidden, which
is something like a .cvsignore file containing things which are to be
(optionally, keyed on the value of the user's "UNIX Expert" preference)
hidden by GUI classes which display the filesystem. For example, this
file might contain (on an otherwise clean Debian system):

bin
boot
dev
etc
initrd
lib
lost+found
opt
proc
sbin
tmp
usr
var
vmlinuz*
vmunix*

On this issue, even with my own Debian hat on, I just punt and say "you
can't do it in Debian, so it has to be done separately". To an extent
that I'm not going to be doing any GNUstep stuff for Debian myself,
because I wouldn't be actually using my own packages. Even those for
which I'm the upstream (like Preferences, recently uploaded by you).

[snip]

> what do you mean by "becoming a Debian package maintainer"? you are
> free to provide any packages for the Debian distribution. If you want
> to become a Debian developer, apply as a new maintainer at debian.org,
> provided you are willing to work with the current Debian package
> maintainers and follow Debian guidelines and policies.

He's not applying to join Debian with this.

--
http://www.quakeforge.net/
http://www.d2dc.net/~deek/