Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Eric Heintzmann
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:03:05 +0200

Vaisburd, Haim wrote:
Eric Heintzmann <eric@gnustep.fr.st> wrote:

It will be an empty package with a debconf entry which ask to users if
they want symlinks to GNUstep Domains, and if yes, where to add these
links ( for example: /, /GNUstep, /usr/GNUstep ... ).

I m not sure that non LHS stuff can be accepted in debian...

What's the story and problem with /opt ?

I've thought it is allowed in Linux FHS and is good for packages that
do not fit into, let's say, standard separation of bin/lib/include.
GNUstep compiles by default into it (/opt/GNUstep).
It seems to me like a natural place for existing distributions.
What do you think?

Tima.

Currently, in debian, GNUstep is installed in /usr/lib/GNUstep.
This location was decided before I was involved in debian packaging, so I cannot give you an 'official' explanation.
And, of course, if we change this location, it would not satisfy everybody.

But, since we can easily set symlinks, is it really important to know where GNUstep is installed ?

        Eric Heintzmann, Co-Maintainer of GNUstep Core debian packages.