Re: _DefaultStringEncoding

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: _DefaultStringEncoding
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:05:24 +0100

> 1) Why are the possible values of GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING in the
>    range { "NSISOLatin1StringEncoding", "NSJapaneseEUCStringEncoding", ... }
>    and not the widely known and standardized names
>          { "ISO-8859-1", "EUC-JP", ... }
>    ? This makes it needlessly hard for users.

Those *are* the widely known and standardised names. Set by the
OpenStep standard and used on all OpenStep based systems (as far
as I know). The ones you quote are somebody elses standard and nothing
to do with OpenStep.

Now it does, of course, beg the question as to why NSISOLatin1StringEncoding
was adopted as the standard in the first place rather than ISO-8859-1,
but thats something you would have to ask NeXT / Sun about :-)

-bat.