Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for qualitycontr

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for qualitycontrol)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:57:35 -0400

Nicola Pero wrote:

> > I'm *extremely* disappointed on what is going on in the #gnustep IRC
> > channel and I'm especially extremely disappointed that the people over
> > in IRC do not bring up the plain issues they have here in the list.
> > Personally I have the strong feeling that the GNUstep project should
> > be split into two separate projects - one driven by #gnustep IRC and
> > one driven by the "traditional" GNUstep developers (Richard, Adam,
> > Nicola, ...).
>
> I am quite disturbed by this thing.
>
> I don't have time to spend on IRC - I can hardly answer all the emails I
> get and I can hardly do a little bit of GNUstep coding - and even if I
> had all that time, I still think I'd better spend it coding (that would
> help the project a lot more than myself hanging on IRC).

Lots of people sit on IRC even while coding. I do, for example. Also, it's a
nice way to discuss development stuff in real-time -- so much so that many
fast-moving projects do _development_ over IRC, because no other method can
keep large-ish groups of people in tune with each other.

Don't underestimate the value of being immediately available, and availing
yourself of the resources that are there all the time.

> People discussing on IRC should bring up any relevant / interesting
> issue they have for all of us to know about it.

Nice idea in principle, but it all happens too fast. By the time one thing
is edited and posted, the next thing is already over.

> Else, I suppose I'll have to spend some time on IRC, but that might mean
> even less time for coding. :-(

Not necessarily. I do more (and better) coding when I have access to the
people on IRC, who are the main users of my code. When I code a bug, I find
out immediately by the same people who are hit by it, so they are important
and valuable users.