Re: GNUstep installation, was Compiling from scratch.

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: GNUstep installation, was Compiling from scratch.
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:53:08 -0400

This is all open to suggestion, this is why I posted; I'd like to hear what others have to say on the subject

How about a single build script that will analyze your system and installed libraries/binaries, and give you a detailed report of everything that needs to be downloaded and installed, including minimum version numbers, AND in the necessary order? For the entire core.

Right now, you have to run configure for make, base, gui, and back. And for each one, configure tells you something is missing, so you get it and install it. Then you run configure again and discover that something else is missing. Repeat ad nauseum.

The first time I built GNUstep, this is what I did and I think other people will do the same thing. People have an aversion to reading instructions, so if they see "configure" there, they just tend to run it and then "make; make install".