Re: GDL2/EOF scaling (was: Re: GNUstep roadmap)

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: GDL2/EOF scaling (was: Re: GNUstep roadmap)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:15:50 +0100

Like many other things there are engineering trade-offs when using something like EOF.

On one hand it is of course very nice to be able to use OOP on database records. We put a *lot* of logic in the (eo)model. We've been using EOF on databases with >100k records, but always so that only a subset of the data was accessed by the user.

On the other hand, it is true that EOF doesn't scale well. This means that you have to give up the flexibility of the object model and all your business logic when you need to do "batch processing" (and decide when to do so). Tricks like having several entities mapped on the same table (for intance a light object for list display, and a full one for inspection/edition) are hard to make work well in practice.

On smaller projects, I agree with Helge that alternatives to relational databases could be used (even when we often stick with EOF and FrontBase or PostgreSQL because customers sometimes specifically ask for a relational database). On larger projects, maybe unfortunately, object databases have not caught on.

marco

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland    http://www.sente.ch