Re: GNUstep on Darwin!

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Darwin!
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:35:29 +0100

Hi

Am 25.11.2003 um 20:13 schrieb Adam Fedor:
On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 08:25 AM, David Ayers wrote:

But also note that DO (which is needed for the paste board server (read -gui/AppKit), distributed notification center and....) currently doesn't work. Maybe because Apple's runtime doesn't provide us with the hooks used by ffcall/libffi invocation (see __objc_msg_forward). I'm not sure if that is the current issue or whether it has to do with typed selectors or something completely different.

There's at least a few issues.

One is that the Apple runtime seems to do some odd memory management stuff, which interacts badly with GNUstep behaviors in base (Source/Additions/behavior.m). Although It might just be a bad implementation on our part.

Also, the Apple runtime probably does closures differently than we do it. Getting a hook into their runtime would allow us to take over that. But perhaps __builtin_apply just works on Darwin, in which case we don't need libffi or anything...

The last time I checked, __builtin_apply didn't work on MOSX (10.2.6), so I wrote an assembly function, which does about that.
If that would help, I would offer it to the Gnustep community.

Re
Phil