Re: NSTimeZone

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSTimeZone
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:28:47 +0000

On 16 Dec 2003, at 10:09, Sheldon Gill wrote:

I have a minor patch for NSTimeZone. It fixes a trivial bug and adds some
documentation. Who should I send it to?

The bugs mailing list or savannah ... but the savannah stuff is not working at the moment ... this means we can't commit patches to cvs for some time
until it's sorted out :-(

On the subject of documentation for NSTimeZone:

Why does it require the additional GMT+/- zone info files? Is this purely for
compatibility with OPENSTEP?

Speaking from memory ... I think that's the case. I beleive the OpenStep and
posix conventions differed on this.

There seems to be some question here about archiving/unarchiving time zone
objects from old nibs.

I don't know about that .

I'm wondering if we can drop the requirement. That way, the zone info files GNUstep uses are the same as glibc and we can eliminate some redundancy on
GNU/Linux and other glibc platforms.

I believe that the time zone information files are also on Solaris?

I seem to recall having been told long ago that posix zones were insufficient for an efficient NSTimeZone implementation. However, IMO the simplification of only having the code deal with one scheme outweighs the redundancy ...
disk space for a few timezone files is cheap.