Re: XML idea

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:13:17 +0100

Fabien VALLON wrote:
It would be nice if the PortabilityKit team finished some of the classes
that are semi-portable between GNUstep and Cocoa (such as the
NSDocument architecture, for example). Do the PortabilityKit team plan to submit fixes for classes already in
GNUstep?

Could you please explain a bit on this? A big junk of the document structure is already in GNUsteo GUI and has been usefull for years. At least to the degree which Ink needed. The new bits that are missing, should be added inplace. This is also a good example to see, that some Cocoa extensions cannot be done in a separate library. For example, changes in NSApplication where needed to support document handling.

I really would prefer to have the additional Cocoa classes in GUI and have a compiler switch to not include them. That way we could also remove the small bits needed in other classes to support them. But as I said, the bigger problem I see in in the writing of the code. We did not trund down the offer of any new class during the last year, as there was none.