Re: NSToolbar

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: NSToolbar
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:57:39 +0100

On 2004-01-12 16:34:33 +0100 Fabien VALLON <fabien.vallon@fr.alcove.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>>   just read that in the GNUstep/Cocoa thread and became curious: What are
>> the reasons for this dislike of NSToolbar? I'm a happy Cocoa user and I'm
>> just curious.
>
> I bloat NSWindow.

What about context sensitive toolbar, where context is focused (key) window?
Applications will have just one NSToolBarPanel which will change according to
the focused window. It can be either floating or with fixed position somewhere
on the screen. No screen pollution and no need of views relayout in windows.

With this we will get another concept of "Action Panel" ( = Toolbar
panel/window) to the existing one: Inspector Panel. The "Inspector" panel
changes its contents according to the selected object where you can "inspect"
the object's contents. The "Action Panel" will change it's contents according
to the selected window and will display all available actions that can be done
in the "selected" window.

What do you think?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi