Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++

From: steve naroff
Subject: Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:58:45 -0800

David,

I work with Zem and will chime in here (and help answer your questions...).

I wrote the ObjC frontend and NeXT/Apple runtime in 1988. Objective-C++ was written in the summer of 1989 to support the development of Lotus Improv (initially).

The reason the background is interesting is the following...Objective-C++ has been successfully used within the NeXT/Apple community for almost 15 years! That is, Objective-C++ isn't research...it is a product that has been in used for many years now. As a result, we care about source compatibility.

When ObjC++ was written, there was thought/hope that the ANSI-C and ANSI-C++ standardization efforts would "converge" (and it would become the "modern" dialect). Since they never did, we are left with two dialects of ObjC (unfortunately...we would prefer to have one:-) Here are some answers to your questions...

Will the objc++ frontend work with the GNU runtime?

Yes. Objective-C++ didn't require any changes to the Apple runtime...the same should be true for the GNU runtime.

If not, will you accept patches to the branch to make it work, even if this entails restructuring the code in general (potentially even require tweaking the NeXT/Apple runtime)? Are there any other platform dependencies that you are already aware of (i.e. other that the potential dependency on the Apple Runtime)?

No.

IIRC, it was mentioned, that this is a new frontend which will make use of some of the source files (e.g. objc-act.c) in the current objc frontend. I expect that there are some tweaks needed, so we should continue testing the objc frontend of the branch, right?

Absolutely. Layering ObjC atop C++ can potentially introduce regressions...

Hope this helps,

snaroff