Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)

From: Robert Warning
Subject: Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:17:21 -0500

There seems to be some confusion over what gstreamer is. First gstreamer is not an application. It is a library for creating media applications. I did not write gstreamer, I'm planning on creating some language bindings to objc/gnustep for gstreamer. You could use gstreamer for creating a movie player, audio player, video editor or a streaming media server.

Gstreamer has the "G" in it because it is loosely affiliated with the gnome project. They are now trying to distance themselves from that image and become integrated into the kde project as well. All (I think) multimedia apps shipped with gnome 2.5 will use gstreamer for playback and editing.

Please look here:
and of course here:
http://www.gstreamer.net

RW