Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: App Naming Nazi (was: Re: Gstreamer)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:09:47 -0800 (PST)

> "MoviePlayer.app" isn't optimal because it plays more than just movies,
> you can also play OGG Vorbis or MP3 streams and, if you like, you can even
> do some CPU hogging by visualising audio-only streams.
Agreed, you should use MediaPlayer as your app name.

> Then I had this great idea: "If it plays any media streams, why not simply
> call it 'MediaPlayer.app' instead of 'MoviePlayer.app'?" But then again,
> this picture appeared before my minds eye: Me standing in front of an army
> of lawyers, from a far distance I could hear the sound of a hammer being
> slammed on a big desk, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer grinning at me
> gloatingly, and myself only being capable of one thought: "How the heck am
> I supposed to ever be able to pay those billions of dollars I've just been
> condemned to?" - And all this just because I wanted to call my open source
> media playing application such that the name reflects what the app does:
> Playing media. Nah, that's not it.
Microsoft holds the trademark to "*Windows* Media Player" not "Media
Player," which is a generic term. People tend to overreact when it comes
to lawsuits. Calm, logical thinking should prevail. See the
aforementioned.

> Then I finally came back to my senses and stopped thinking about a name
> for something that currently is nothing more than a proof-of-concept and a
> bunch of ideas, so I simply wrote "GPlayer.app" and pressed the send
> button.
That's the problem, really, nobody gives much thought to naming, and it
causes these sorts of problems because folks just turn into naming-sheep.