Re: test driven development for GNUstep

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: test driven development for GNUstep
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:38:27 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> I wrote GNUstep-Guile/Greg as a replacement for DejaGnu because I found
> it so horrible to use for testing the GNUstep libraries ...  I haven't
> used ocunit.
>
> The only real problem with the existing testsuite is that it uses guile
> ... which
> is better than the tcl stuff used by dejagnu, but suffers from being a
> language
> which is unfamiliar to everyone working on GNUstep (and I include
> myself).

Agreed. I can write simple tests in it, but when it comes to complicated
stuff, it either needs too much scheme-knowledge to do (when you need
helper classes, or want to test custom subclasses), or it's plain
impossible (event handling and rendering tests for -gui).

> I think if you want all developers to be able to trivially run the
> testsuite as part
> of the development process, you need to write the test stuff using only
> make,
> and shell scripts and ObjC code,

Agreed. Any new testing framework should have fewer dependencies than
the current testing framework, and have tests in objective-c.

> and I think you need to have it all
> copyrighted
> by the FSF so that it can be distributed as part of the GNUstep core.

Partially agreed. Requiring copyright assignment for the test framework
itself seems sensible, but I think it would be useful to not require
copyright assignments for tests. This would let users worried about
GNUstep bugs write tests without going through the hassle of copyright
assignment. It would also make it possible to rip regression tests from
real world apps when bugs are discovered. As I understand it, something
like this could be arranged.

It should definitely be part of core. core/tests/?

FWIW, I've been tinkering for a while with a new testing framework for
testing GNUstep (including some ideas for testing "difficult" aspects of
-gui, like event handling). It runs basic stuff, but it's more ideas
than code so far.

- Alexander Malmberg