GWorkspace future

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: GWorkspace future
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:25:04 +0200

I would to split GWorkspace in some applications.
Please, let me know what you think about this.

- Desktop:
The actual desktop window, the tabbed shelf and a trash.
Already having the shelfs of the viewers, the tabbed shelf and the fiend, the
desktop would represent a place in the file system (probably
$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT/.Desktop).

- Inspector:
A window containing something like the actual Contents Inspector. Besides the
usual content viewers (files contents and pasteboard data), Inspector should
also accept bundles sent as NSData by applications, that is, an app will be
able to add a viewer for a type of data.

- Finder:
The Finder; but with many new features.

- Viewers:
The GWorkspace and the GWNet viewers in a single application + the fiend and
the recycler (on the fiend?)

- Operation:
The app that performs the file operations ans shows their progress.

- fswatcher:
A daemon that notify the registered applications when the contents of a
directory have changed. Actually, this feature is implemented in GWLib, in the
FSWatcher class.
(fswatcher is already on CVS and works much better than the old solution)