Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Florent Pillet
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:02:59 +0100

On 4 févr. 04, at 15:42, Philip Mötteli wrote:

I'd go farther than that.

Could you please repeat that and send a copy to P. C. D. Robert? I can't remember all the names, that already publically said, that they are interested in a Windows port of GS. But it needs to be more evolved. P.C.D. Robert seems to constantly censore such statements. Perhaps we have to make a mail bomb that it gets into his mail box?

There is no need for a mail bomb. Philippe may not see the point in a good Windows port of GNUStep, but maybe he is ignoring the large number of Mac OS X developers who are starving for a Cocoa equivalent on Windows.

Now there are a few things about GS that need to be very clear:

- NeXT having been absorbed by Apple (though some will say that it happened the other way round :-)), the new baseline OpenStep APIs are Cocoa. Any attempt to ignore this fact will lead to Cocoa developers turning away from GNUStep. Let me repeat that: OpenStep is history. Cocoa is the new specification. Hence, GS should at least provide the equivalence to the N-1 version of Cococa (ie currently offer the set of APIs that were in Jaguar would be deemed acceptable by developers).

- A Windows port would be the major selling point for most Cocoa developers. Especially the ones who develop Cocoa applications for a living. I would classify the interest in porting applications to Linux as marginal right now, though Linux compatibility would be a good side effect of people using GS to port to Windows.

- To get more developers on the project, people who know the project intimately need to produce some architectural documents and at least a pretty exhaustive document that lists what works, what doesn't, class by class and method by method. This is about the only efficient way someone (like me, for example) could dive into GS and say "ok I need to implement this to get my stuff to work".

- I think that the look and feel issue needn't to be overlooked. As Alex mentioned it, people must overcome their own personal taste and realize that in any given platform, the only acceptable way of displaying the UI is by respecting the platform look and feel.

- Finally, I think that some effort should be done towards a less emotional communication. I can frankly say that reading long flaming threads between people in the discuss-gnustep archives is something that makes one colder about helping the project...

Florent

--
Florent Pillet, Code Segment       florent.pillet@wanadoo.fr
Developer tools and end-user products for Palm OS & Mac OS X