Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:13:04 +0100

Am 04.02.2004 um 15:16 schrieb Florent Pillet:

I think you have given both the question and the answer. Many Mac developers would jump on GNUStep if it could help them port to Windows. That makes sense: a porting effort to a platform you don't use is interesting only if you're going to benefit from it -- that is, port a commercial or shareware product.

Even services (consulting e. g.) can be interesting.

Mind you, the interest in porting to Linux is certainly very limited. I won't open a debate about market share, respective platform qualities, etc. but if you're making a commercial product for Mac OS X, your primary porting target is Windows.

That's exactly what I think.

So it's somewhat a "chicken and egg" problem. There definitely exists a large number of *potential* GNUStep adopters, but the prerequisite is that porting to Windows is possible and viable. Once porting is possible, you'll probably see a large number of apps compiling with GNUStep, and this will also increase the number of apps that become available for other targets (ie GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, etc)

That's exactly, what I want to say.

Re
Phil