Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:52:58 +0100

One thing that amazed me is that people don't seem to care about the fact that your beloved Cocoa (or OSX for that matters) could very well be thrown by Apple (or simply, Apple could just go out of business). It's really incredible to be so blind with the #1 interest of GNUstep -- its free software nature -- while so many astounding things were removed from the market (OPENSTEP, OpenStep/Windows/Solaris, EOF..)

Thanks Nicolas. That's exactly my point. GNUstep gui (of course) still has some drawbacks, but being forced to fix a bug here and there in gui - or even reimplementing a class - is nothing compared to the danger of Apple taking Objectve-C/Cocoa from the market (very unlikely) or from Apple going out of business (who knows). Who wants to bet his live on that. China has decided to use Linux, not Windows but also not MacOSX. It was reported that they are going to purchase 1 Million copies of Sun Java Desktop (SuSE Linux plus some Java apps) every year from now on. We are in the enterprise market. It's pretty hard to convince medium sized companies to replace PCs with Macs. Putting Linux on existing hardware or reintroducing thin clients like the SunRays is (seems to me) a bit easier. All our work (many many man years) is based on Objective-C and OPENSTEP API. I couldn't sleep anymore if the existence of my company depended on Apple alone. As long as MacOSX is on the market it is a brilliant - and currently our preferred - development platform. But the point is, if it goes away, there's GNUstep. If a customer does not like Macs, there's GNUstep. If a customer does not like GNUstep either ...

Just my 2 cents!

Regards,

   Andreas