Re: test driven development for GNUstep

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: test driven development for GNUstep
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:54:01 +0100

discuss-gnustep-bounces+lars.sonchocky-helldorf=bbdo-interone.de@gnu.org
wrote on 11.02.2004 09:27:56:

> On 10 Feb 2004, at 01:17, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
>
> > Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd ideally like such a framework to be part of the GNUstep-make
> >> package so all developers
> >
> > By developers, do you mean all developers working on GNUstep, or all
> > developers using GNUstep?
>
> My preference is all developers using GNUstep ... I think it gives a
> sense
> of security to people if they can readily see the software passing a
> load
> of tests (and probably makes it easier for them to contribute new
> tests).
> IMO a major reason that the current testsuite seems to be little used is
> that it needs to be downloaded and installed separately.
>
> It would be nice if anyone building GNUstep from source was able to do
> 'make check' to confirm that everything is working before they do their
> 'make install'. or perhaps to have a 'checkinstall' target which would
> build the library, run the tests, and install only if all the tests
> passed.

fully acknowledged.

Besides this having a test suite makes refactoring a lot easier. And we'll
have a sanity check if a submitted patch will break anything (our policy
would be: only apply the patch if the tests were passed)

greetings, Lars
--
There are only two possibilities of dealing with Windows on PCs:

1. Throw Windows out of the PC.
2. Throw the PC out of the Window.