Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integration

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integration
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:11:33 +0100 (CET)

Good evening,

Note: it's probably better to keep the whole discussion here, in discuss-gnustep

Just few words to clarify my position on Helge offers and I hope my english
will reflect my thoughts :-)

First of all, I'm happy to see contributions from helge/oog/skyrix to the
gnustep project.

That said, my position is still the same than in december 1998/january 1999,
before starting GNUstepWeb:
I think it's better to concentrate work on a single WO compatible library. I've
asked Helge about
releasing their WO compatible library. The answer was no and I don't want to
discuss his (and mdlink ?)
reasons.
So I've started GNUstepWeb, some other people joined the project.

GNUstep base and gsweb have been improved and Helge/Skyrix have improved their
product too. Great.
I can't find contribution from Helge/kyrix in GNUstep base, db, extensions,
gsweb ... ChangeLog but, anyway,...

During 2003, Opengroupware appears as (L)GPLed. Great.

Last week, I see a message
<<
We also have a somewhat weird situation with regards to gnustep-web. I
think it was mainly started by Manuel because there was nothing
available and the SKYRiX stuff wasn't yet available as GPL.
Yet with OGo we now do have a high quality and proven WebObjects clone
and gnustep-web is somewhat obsolete for practical purposes (no offense
intended at all!) Not sure how we should proceed on this front.

Well, a strange way to start a cooperation as Helge don't know too much about
gsweb. But OK, may be a bad wording
choice.
Funny note about testing and usability, we have a GNUstepWeb have application
which is used by more than 40000 people each
month, serving more than 200 000 pages each month for near a year. I think Dave
have similar exemple.

After reading last messages, I worry about the future of GNUstep project as
Helge see it. After years of proprietary
development, he sudenly suggest to share things. Well, basically, I'm still OK.
But I don't think it's reasonnable
to say "hey just drop this because we have a better one" without even knowing
exactly what we talking about.

And asserting that
<<See Manuel, I really don't want to lower your work on gnustep-web.
Yet a comment like "just write another template parser" is
inappropriate for the discussion, since WO compatible parsers (and many
more things) are already *finished and mature* in NGObjWeb and they
were finished and mature for years when you started working at
gnustep-web! Thats the whole point.

seems inapropriate to me as Helge know, base parser is just around 500 or 600
lines of code easyly testable (just check
your NGObjWeb/Templates/WOHTMLParser.m). Nobody  (including) me does the effort
to write a raw html parser. I didn't
done it because personnaly I like XML parser even if it can be improved.
BTW, Helge, do you know about .gswd inclusion, automatic inclusion of
images,... in templated mail, query path extensions,...
which are present in gsweb ?

So, after reading last posts, I'd like to be sure about the direction of
projects. If the goal is only to give more
mainteners to OOg/Skyrix projects, I don't agree. I also don't agree if the
point is to move some base things outside of
GNUstep tree. I trust Adam, Richard, ... because they work on GNUstep for
years. There's also few points about
organisation, copyrights and so on but that' a next step.

To summarize, I'm open, I'm happy to see contributions, I'll be happy to merge
NGObjWeb and GSWeb but I don't
want to see GNUstep projects taking some out of control way and I just can't
say to people using gsweb or to my
customers  "hey, we'll drop  this so you'll have to rewrite and test part of
your applications; Are you happy ?".

Manuel