[FYI] -art won't work with XFree86-4.4.0

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: [FYI] -art won't work with XFree86-4.4.0
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:35:41 +0900

Hi,

The title is impressive but somewhat misleading. So please read the
following with care.

Last night, I built and installed XFree86-4.4.0 and found that -art
failed to work with the freetype2 library coming with its source.

According to RELNOTES, freetype2 is updated to 2.1.4. So I thought
it would work with -art. But it was not at all. (I confirmed that
the source itself is that of 2.1.4.)

The cause is due to the fact that the newly built library is lack
of some symbols against which -art wants to link (those symbols
beginning with the prefix FTC_).

As some people in this list reported (IIRC), this was a phenomenon
found with 2.1.3 or earlier.

In my impression, this is due to xc/lib/freetype2/Imakefile because
that file is written in such a way that no source file defining the
FTC_* symbols is used for building the library (i.e., those files in
xc/extras/freetype2/src/cache).

I guess XFree86 people forgot to update Imakefile when the source
was changed to 2.1.4 from 2.1.3. But I'm not certain...
because it is possible that's their real intention.

Nonetheless, I think it would be better for us to do something for
the issue; otherwise, we will definitely get emails like "In spite of
my using freetype2-2.1.4, -art still won't work. Why?".

It should be done as soon as possible because it's due to Imakefile
(I guess), almost all distros will use it unchanged and ship 4.4.0
with a freetype2 which can't live with GNUstep.

Cheers,
- Kazunobu Kuriyama