Re: Darwin - x86 - GNUSTEP

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: Darwin - x86 - GNUSTEP
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:50:51 +0000

JSL wrote:

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to use Darwin x86
with a GUI or X-Window environment like:
AQUA (Mac OS X)
OPENSTEP

Definitely not. OpenStep was based on the proprietary Display PostScript and Aqua on Apple's own closed-source rendering system (think DisplayPDF only not quite); neither have been ported to Darwin/x86. If you want to have the OpenStep GUI, try GNUstep (see below) or see if you can grab hold of a copy of Rhapsody/x86 or OpenStep/x86, from e.g. eBay or BlackHoleInc.

or GnuStep

Indeed so. Check out the GNUstep CVS from savannah.gnu.org and follow the instructions in README.Darwin. I've done this and have forwarded recommendations back to the GNUstep peeps about changes to the docs; I'm on a very slow dial-up connection on a very slow computer at the moment so can't readily check whether or not they've been implemented :-(.

Once you've built GNUstep you may be interested (or perhaps not) in the GNUstep StartupItem I created:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wadh1342/GSStartupItem.tar.gz

Good luck! I'm about 150 miles away from my Darwin machine at the moment so if you want help building GNUstep I'm afraid I'm not too useful. However I expect that other people here (or the GNUstep types: #gnustep on freenode IRC) will be ;-).

Any opinion or experience with that?

GNUstep works. KDE (apparently, never tried myself) works. Afterstep I have no experience with however for a NeXT-esque window manager try WindowMaker...although I seem to remember there's a bug with _XSetLocale or a similar symbol being unresolved. Can't remember right now but when I get back to my Darwin PC I'll send some patches to whoever would like (a DarwinPort file?).

Ancient NeXTStep user

And there was me thinking it was only the computers that were old ;-).

Graham.