Re: Apple scripting extensions (Was: Re: kind of unit testing framework

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Apple scripting extensions (Was: Re: kind of unit testing framework for StepTalk)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:00:27 +0100

On 29 Apr 2004, at 16:26, Quentin Mathé wrote:

On 2004-04-20 12:02:04 +0200 Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote:

Hi Stefan,
did you ever consider using the Foundation scripting extensions done by Apple for StepTalk?
Yes, I have thought about that... however, GNUstep does not provide them at the moment.

I think it is a good approach to implement them in StepTalk (or some other outside framework) first and if done, move them to base (if people agree to that).

Personally, I would prefer to not have them included in base because they rely too heavily on the Apple Event terminology which is rather cryptic in my opinion. I think a better solution with a more simple and generic terminology can be created (eventually included in base) and derivated to implement compatibility with Cocoa scripting architecture.

I'm a pragmatist ... I'd accept an implementation either way ... if whoever is going to write the code wants to do it as a better implementation with a MacOS-X compatibility, that's good, if they just want to do a MacOS-X clone, that's ok too (but if people want to do both, I'd probably prefer the more powerful solution).

In terms of location ... for consistency with apple foundation, this should be part of the base library ... but I think it *is* rather a bloated clutter of the foundation. I would like to see the source and headers of scripting classes in a subdirectory separated from the main source/headers, in the same sort of way that the GNUstep specific additions are kept in the 'Additions' subdirectory.