Re: Dynamically registering file types

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Dynamically registering file types
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:44:42 +0200

Adding configure script to Zipper that is able to detect what is installed and then create a correct Info.plist

Talking about that...
http://pmk.sourceforge.net/
might be a nice idea.

Dennis

Dirk Olmes wrote:
Hi,

is there any way to dynamically register support for certain file types
based on application settings?

E.g. Zipper can handle various archive types: zip, tar.gz, rar etc. but
only if the executable for unarchiving is installed. Up to now I register
all supported archive types in the Info.plist but this can lead to a
situation where Zipper claims that it can handle e.g. zip files but unzip
isn't installed and so it really can't open zip files.

What I'd like to do is dynamically register the supported file types based
on the executables that are specified in Zipper's preferences. While I
could programatically modify Zipper's Info.plist inside the app wrapper
this seems not like the optimal approach to me.

Does anybody know a more elegant version?

-dirk

--
You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.
                        --- Sam Levenson