Re: World-Wide (ish) NeXT Meetups

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: World-Wide (ish) NeXT Meetups
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:01:31 +0100

Le 30 mai 04, à 05:52, Graham J Lee a écrit :

This is a *very* geeky thought, but it strikes me that 2004-10-19 is the tenth anniversary of the OpenStep specification being published, and in my book that's as good an excuse for a party as any. Unfortunately, 2004-10-19 is also a Tuesday; however may I recommend that GNUstep/NeXTSTEP people from all over the world arrange to have parties on the weekend of October 16/17? I for one would like to meet some of you, discuss GNUstep, OS X, NeXT, reminisce about computers gone by and also have a lot of fun.

Sounds like a very good idea, indeed.

So, how does it sound? I'd appreciate any feedback. Number of people interested, locations of people, willingness to travel, what you'd like to do; and most important of all willingness to arrange meet-ups! It's unfeasible that everyone could get to one meeting but if we can arrange parties in a number of suitably-spaced locations then we'll still have a world-wide spirit; handy when considering the world-wide web came from NeXTSTEP! ;-)

I will definitely come to Oxford for the event :-)

Another idea, after talking about that event on #gnustep... we are a few gnustep developers in england, and france isn't that far (well Paris->Oxford at least) with train, and possibly people in others countries could want to come...

So, why not organize a "GNUstep Developers Meeting", say from the saturday to the monday, where we'll be able to discuss and code ?

Then, the tuesday, we could have some kind of "OpenStep Day", with talks -- from NeXT/Cocoa devs, and from us (like a talk to present gnustep, its current state and future, and another to show the technology...) Targetting OpenStep will permit to have more people the tuesday and could be quite interesting for everybody (plus we'll be able to show gnustep to the people that are the most likely to use it in the first place)

So, are there some people interested to do that ? October isn't perfect from an organization point of view, and tuesday isn't great either, beeing in the middle of the week. But the symbol is nice...

--
Nicolas Roard