Re: State of gnustep under panther?

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: State of gnustep under panther?
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:19:25 +1000

On 05/06/2004, at 11:50 AM, Nicolas Roard wrote:

Hm... well, I could perhaps be wrong then. I installed GNUstep on OSX a few months ago and I don't remember if I had tried to use panther gcc or not -- perhaps I directly installed the fsf gcc... I'll try to do a compilation on panther tomorrow. If that works without needing the fsf gcc, that would be quite nice, indeed.

Well, I tried to build gnustep using the last available (for me) gcc from developer.apple.com (Dec 2003 gccLongBranch Tools, as I'm not able to download XCode 1.2 ...)

Ho hum.   You really need to use the latest tools.

and it didn't work :-/
I'm not able to build libffi in fact, taking libffi from the PyObjc project -- from their latest release -- it doesn't compile.

I suspect it would not build with an FSF compiler of the same vintage. I have certainly built libffi from the recent >=3.4 gcc sources.

Any ideas ? I think that if you're able to run Swarm with the GNU runtime with the standard gcc from apple, there is no reason we can't also build GNUstep ... :-/

The best compiler I have yet used was from source pulled from Apple's cvs using the tag gcc-1555. This seems to incorporate a lot of the good stuff from gcc 3.4. A compiler from the cvs is very easy to build and is a drop in replacement for the Xcode one. If you check out the Swarm site on Savannah, you will find a link to a binary package which I built. Give it a try.

Just at the moment, the Apple public CVS code is a bit stale. They stopped updating it in October, undoubtedly to preserve the secrecy about new products to be released at the developer conference at the end of this month. On previous form, when the new developments are public, they will update the public CVS from their internal one. That would probably be an even better time to pull some code off.

Bill Northcott