Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:06:52 +0200

Chad Hardin wrote:
> That hypothetical daemon I mentioned, the one which would keep track of
> running apps.  There are other things it would be use full for too.
> Specifically things that are essential for the creation of a working
> dock.  For example, a dock needs to know when an App wants to change
> it's AppIcon.
>
> Personally, I think if there is another app/daemon present that is
> willing to handle the AppIcon at Application launch time then it should
> be used to handle the AppIcon, otherwise the App itself can use the
> original AppIcon Tile behavior.  I think that is a reasonable behavior.

This is desktop-level stuff, so it should be done in desktop bundles. A
desktop bundle might choose to implement it using a daemon, or it might
choose to handle it in some other way; -gui shouldn't try to limit the
choices here. (For rationale, see my mail about this earlier this year,
or wait a few days until I have time to write more.)

- Alexander Malmberg