ANN: Price 0.4.0

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: ANN: Price 0.4.0
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:16:27 +0200

  P R I C E   0 . 4 . 0
  =====================

I am pleased to announce a new release of Price.

PRICE (Precision Raster Image Convolution Engine) is an image filtering and
processing program. Currently it is capable of opening and saving tiffs. On
the latest version of GNUstep and on Macos-X it is capable of opening more
formats (jpeg, gif...).

The official site is: http://price.sf.net

Where I updated and inserted some documentation, example images and general
explanations about the filters. New pages are already here on my HD to clean
it up and organize Documentation better.

Some highlights:
- many fixes in the memory allocations (Thanks to David Ayers and Gregory)
- cleaned up some code
- fixed some gnuatep specific cosmetic issues
- implemented the sophisticated Custom Trace Egdes filter, which permits
quite some interesting results with some images.
- most filters automatically convert a color image to greyscale if it is
required for their operation.

I have tested 0.4.0 on os-x and on different gnustep installations, both
with the release versions as with the CVS. It works flawlessy for me on ppc
and sparc. Some people reported problems I cannot reproduce at all.

There are some TIFF images where the data is stored differently than RGB
tribles (namely, first all red, then all green ten all blue bit planes).
That is the bit planes are sequential and not interleaved. PRICE won't be
able to filter these images and may givve unexpected results. I have to add
at least a warning if not an automatic conversion.

Some tiff images which visualize correctly bug segfaults when filtering. I
have currently only one of such images and it is very strange.

-Riccardo

PS The application is GPL and so are the filters inside. Thus sharing the
code with other developers entangled in image processing/viewing is welcome.