Re: Objective-C and Smalltalk; speed of message send

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Objective-C and Smalltalk; speed of message send
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:57:52 +0200

On 10.08.2004, at 18:47 Uhr, Travis Griggs wrote:

keyed tallies. This would replace an existing 2D array in strict C. We decided to use NSStrings as the keys. To maintain a backwards bridge, we took the old 2D access indices and turned them into a string. And then stored/set them in the NSMutableDictionary via those. The performance was not impressive. I got some pointers from this

I believe that this can be safely considered to be a classic now. Read http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/artikel/Optimization/opti-7.html and be surprised how worse things are in real life. ;-) Although GNUstep isn't discussed in the article, probably some of the same problems reside in gnustep-base.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com