Re: Objective-C and Smalltalk; speed of message send

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Objective-C and Smalltalk; speed of message send
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:31:59 +0100

On 10 Aug 2004, at 12:15, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

As a final note, recent oprofile data from Matt Rice puts
objc_msg_lookup at 15%-20% of execution time in messaging heavy -gui
code. In other words, if message lookup was free, our programs would be
~20% faster. Significant, yes, but 20% really isn't that much.

Thus, I maintain that message sending is really quite cheap. :) Except
for performance critical code, I'd rather take a 20% performance hit
than uglify my code with IMP caching, and I wouldn't shy away from
messaging heavy code. :)

I'd like to add that I *strongly* agree with Alexander here.

I've had a lot of experience with this sort of optimisation over the years,
and while it's undoubtedly important for some of the key classes in the
base library, I now believe I tended to over-do the optimisations some
years ago when I was less experienced.

Optimisation efforts should be directed to improving algorithms rather
than speeding up messaging by caching method implementations.