Re: GNUstep and Cocoa#???

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: GNUstep and Cocoa#???
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:36:21 +0200

Hello,

On Saturday, August 14, 2004, at 05:44 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

I'm neither for it, nor against it, I'm just interested in hearing opinions.
Any thoughts?

Well, my personal opinion is that I don't see a reason for "#". I have also attended a big conference by Mr. Miller himself about it and although it has some pretty interesting ideas, if you reduce it at the bare bones it is just a microsoft attempt to combat java.

A second thought would be that maintaining bindings of gnustep with c# would be a lot of effort and, at least up to know, C# is fortunately not a diffused language.

And we have little resources already...

If I had to choose other languages to support with gnustep/cocoa (which would be a very good idea: many programmers don't like to be "coerced" do obj-c") I would think of

1. Java
2. C++
3. Python
4. Smalltalk

Not that I endorse any of the above languages, but they are more or less widely used. So think with the mind of a programmer already knowing one or more languages choosing a GUI toolkit for example... From what I know C++ isn't flexible enough to be feasible, but maybe some wrapper classes could be done? Java is interesting because it is one of the widest spread languages used in professional environments too and Cocoa has (or had?) support for it too, so it is feasible. And Jigs is "almost there". Python is rumored to be quite popular in the free world. I personally don't know it but from what I was told it could potentially support quite some OOP stuff and so be able to bind to *step.

But for now I'd prefer a better gnustep, especially the gui, than some exotic stuff. We don't have resources... Until Cocoa supports Obj-C and doesn't switch to some crap we are on the safe side.

-Riccardo