Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:11:13 +0100

On 18 Aug 2004, at 03:07, Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. wrote:

Supporting two different moveable GNUstep installations on one machine is just too complicated. You might as well use a virtual machine. Is there anything in the Openstep specs to allow for that? There seems to be an assumption that there is only one Openstep system installed per machine.

Am I missing something?

Well, supporting multiple installations is only very slightly more complex than supporting a single relocatable installation, and supporting a relocatable installation is essential for some people (I want customer to be able to install systems where they want them).

To use a virtual machine, I would need to obtain,install,run some virtual-machine software ... I think thats in a completely different ballpark of complexity from having GNUstep support multiple locations itsself.

You are right in saying that there is nothing in OpenStep to allow for multiple installations, but I don't think that is an issue.