Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:04:19 -0700

On 19 Aug 2004, at 04:15, Nicola Pero wrote:

If people feel that the libs from Library/Libraries should live in
/usr/lib... use GNOME or KDE ;)

I don't agree with that.  If you want to write a server in ObjC using
GNUstep, but for constraints outside your control you have to have it in the standard unix hierarchy (we don't always control our customers or our
managers), you want to be able to do it.  Why should I give up all the
good that it's in GNUstep just because I have a requirement to deploy the server in standard unix locations. Also because as soon as the constrains go away I can just change a couple of ./configure switches in gnustep-make
and have the same software install in the GNUstep filesystem hierarchy
without any change to my server.

I can't see any real life situation where a programmer will be forced to use a particular hierarchal layout, especially since it is entirely possible to install GNUstep in /usr/local/GNUstep or /usr/local/daemonSupportDirectory or whatever management wants.

If management is so bass ackwards that they require something like what you suggest, then they likely will not allow the use of GNUstep because it is not "standard" enough, not to mention that I don't get why someone would write /just/ a daemon using GNUstep and distribute the whole environment (or even mart of it) to support the daemon.

JP

--

 -
/~\  The ASCII