Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:28:16 +0100

On 19 Aug 2004, at 22:04, John Davidorff Pell wrote:
I can't see any real life situation where a programmer will be forced to use a particular hierarchal layout, especially since it is entirely possible to install GNUstep in /usr/local/GNUstep or /usr/local/daemonSupportDirectory or whatever management wants.

If management is so bass ackwards that they require something like what you suggest, then they likely will not allow the use of GNUstep because it is not "standard" enough, not to mention that I don't get why someone would write /just/ a daemon using GNUstep and distribute the whole environment (or even mart of it) to support the daemon.

You are entitled to your opinion about this, but ...

I know of companies who insist on filesystem layout constraints etc, but simply do not care what the technology is as long as it conforms to their rules about where it is located (and how it can be prevented from interfering
with other applications on their machines).
You are free to believe that management cannot be so 'bass ackwords', but real-world experience
says they sometimes (often in the case of large corporates) are.

I'll write software using GNUstep and distribute the environment (well, the base library, not gui in my case) to support it. I'm surprised you don't see why ... the reason is simple ... it's quicker and easier to write stuff using GNUstep and distribute the environment than it is to write code without it and distribute it standalone.