Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:43:16 +0700

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:51:31 +0200, Quentin Mathé
<gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:
[...]
> - We consider that improving the current look of GNUstep UI will help
> tremendously to attract people
> - We consider that one of the most important part of this work is the
> creation of new, modern-looking icons
> - We propose to pay a graphist for theses icons and share the bill
> among us. It should be possible to use Adam Fedor's paypal account for
> example.
> - We propose an Icon's guidelines document to help keeping consistency

This is really nice, I agree with this and I support this move. And I'll suspend
all of my icon creations until this guideline is a bit more complete so I can
actually use it. Would be nice if this document is hosted on GNUstep.org.

> Now... what do you people think about all of that ? If you could at
> least indicate if you want to contribute ($$) and how much, it would be
> a good start. Furthermore, we would like to reach an agreement about
> the icons guidelines. We tried to do our best, but the ideas expressed
> in the documents are ours, and possibly not the best :-) so if you have
> better solutions, it would be nice to make the guidelines evolves.

I don't have any money to donate (really!). One point is, people who
aren't really an artist but having designing skill can give some good ideas
in general. So I'm expecting more ideas from people like mpt or Deek
(even the NeXTb0rg one!)

The guideline should be complete with both visual examples and have
descriptions on every line, curve, their thicknesses, the degree of isometric
(eg, so it won't cause too much space around the icon or if we should go
oblique), etc. Also, what about vector icon? Supporting that could result
a big flick in the scheme.

Best regards,
]d