Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:58:01 +0100

Le 21 août 04, à 16:29, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

In article <mailman.2188.1093098936.2011.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

Yes, that's what I was pointing.. I think we could set up the mechanism
for simply
changing the default icons set by the user; and we could probably
package some
of theses themes available on art.gnome.org and kde-looks.org ...

 Yeah. Just have a folder with icons that have special pre-defined
names, and a user defaults entry that decides which folder to use when
an icon is requested from IconKit. E.g.

  /Library/Icon Themes/NeXTstep/Folder.tiff

if the icon theme user default is set to "NeXTstep". Should be fairly
straightforward to implement.

yes, I think so..
Also, it would perhaps be interesting to add a new method to
NSImage: instead of +imageNamed:, +systemImageNamed:
-- basically it will then provide a namespace for system images.

But , finding a good looking, original, default theme for GNUstep will
be hard.

 True. but it's worth the effort, and as long as GNUstep becomes
themeable in the process, any minority that might object to the default
theme can switch to a different one.

Well, anyway we'll have that mechanism, yes. That should be ok for
everybody.

 I'm talking about the close box of the window, in the title bar, and
the "maximize" box.

Ohh ! then of course I will change them :-)
As I told you, the titlebar was done very quickly.

Well, it is gray :-) but ok, I'll test a darker gray.

Yeah, the current shade of grey is about the shade MacOS X 10.3 uses...
we'd need it darker to make it look different.

I'll do some tests.

Well, I'm not sure that this theme should be the default one. Depends
of what
people thinks, but I think more people will still prefer the default
OpenStep one :)
Anyway, it will be easy to change the look using themes, so..

 One thing: Rounded buttons look nice, but a lot of GNUstep apps
apparently assume rectangular buttons (like GNUMail's Preferences
window, whose scrollable list of buttons looks horrible with rounded
buttons). So, I guess you'll want to switch to a rectangular shape.

 You could still have the rounded buttons in there, whenever a button
has the NSRoundedBezelStyle. The default for a new NSButton in Cocoa
still seems to be NSRegularSquareBezelStyle or something like it, but in
dialog boxes NSRoundedBezelStyle is the preferred look.

I disagree... if we were talking about a default theme, ok. But as it is just an optional theme, you can't expect applications to modify their behaviour
to adapt to it. Having the gnumail's prefs looking less good is just an
annoying side-effect (but honestly I don't find it _so_ horrible ..)

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke