Re: System fonts

From: Sungjin Chun
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:16:23 +0900

Yes, Korean also has some problem in Terminal environment, I think fixed width font
related...

From: Sungjin Chun <chunsj@embian.com>
To: Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org, rburns@softhome.net
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:31:56 +0900

On Aug 25, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Alex Perez wrote:

Insert my vote for this here. This is long overdue, and while it's not a problem for latin-script-using foo's, everyone else (like Rob, here, who wants to see Japanese and Thai fonts at the same time, or me) who wants to use non-latin scripts along with latin ones. Historically, most Japanese
fonts have had horrid latin glyphs, for instance...

The same is true for Korean font(which also has horrible latin glyphs...), my solution (yes, I know this is illegal) is mixing FreeSans for Latin glyphs and one Korean font for Korean glyphs, and named it as FreeSansKor. I think we should have more general
solution like substitution...

 Have my .2 center here.
 That's something I want from GNUstep long time ago.
 Latin glyph from Chinese font is unbelievable ugly,
 and there are some issuesabout the latin glyph size from Chinese font,
 which make Terminal unusable for me in Chinese environment.

 Yen-Ju

BTW, with back-art and subpixel rendering, FreeSans font looks cool. :-)

S.J.Chun